Visas and Entry Permits Italy, TRAVELLING IN ITALY

Passion For Italy ~ For lovers of all things Italian
Visas and Entry Permits Italy
Safety and Security in Italy
Euro, Banks, Credit Cards, Italy
Medical Services, Italy
Telephone, Internet Services
Travelling by Car, Italy
Travelling by Train, Italy
Travelling by Bus,  Italy
Public Holidays, Italy
Church Services, Italy

TRAVELLING IN ITALY >> Visas and Entry Permits Italy

Visas and Entry Permits Italy

Visa conditions can change from year to year. It is advisable to contact your nearest Italian Embassy or Consulate of Italy for the most up to date information.
British, Irish and other EU citizens can enter Italy and stay as long as they like on production of a valid passport. Citizens of the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand require a valid passport, too, but are limited to stays of three months. All other nationals should consult the relevant embassy about visa requirements.

Passports are required by all visitors to Italy, except for citizens of the following countries, who may enter Italy with a National Identity Card: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Portugal, San Marino, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. No visas are required for stays of less than 90 days.

Under Italian law if you are planning to stay more than 8 days in Italy it is compulsory to obtain a Permit to Stay (Permesso di Soggiorno) from the local police station (Questura). This is a requirement separate to any visa obtained from the Italian Embassy or Consulate. If you are staying at a hotel, the hotel management is responsible for registering their guests and this is why they take your passport upon registration.

If you are not staying in a hotel, the official rule is that the application for this permit must be made within 8 working days of your arrival. While some police officers are becoming more concerned with this, most will be amazed if you present yourself while on holiday. If you are planning to stay more than 8 days you should contact the nearest Italian Embassy or Consulate of Italy, or visit the Italian Police website for details on how to apply for the permit once in Italy.

Student Visa
Entrance to Italy as a tourist does not include permission to study or work there. To apply for a student visa, you will need a letter of acceptance from the institution you will be attending and proof that you will have sufficient financial resources. Students under 26 years of age can apply for the International Student Exchange ID Card (ISE) which will give them many discounts for accommodation and travel in Italy. To obtain an ISE card see

Work Visa,
To obtain a work visa, you must submit a written confirmation of employment from your employers, proving that no Italian can fill this position. Contact your local Italian Consulate for an application form and further details.

Contact Us | About Us

© Passion For Italy 2005 - 2018